At the end of September, I had the pleasure of attending the Medical Information and Communications Conference in Brussels, Belgium. This important industry event brings together medical information leaders and experts to discuss trends, innovations, and best practices. This marked Inizio Engage’s inaugural attendance at this event in Europe. Our team was eager to share their knowledge with conference attendees and discuss their plans and needs for 2024.
The conference focused on the latest advancements in medical communications and medical information services. Attendees included myself, Evi Vermeulen, Business Development Director, Belgium, Emily Smith, European Implementation Manager, Medical Affairs, and Dr. Silvia Pantze, Senior Pharmacist, Medical Information in Germany.
I was pleased to attend this year’s conference, one of the most significant annual opportunities for medical information leaders and decision-makers to engage in crucial discussions on current developments and emerging trends in our field.
This conference, widely regarded as a major gathering for medical information professionals, delivered insights and inspiration on improving customer experience with pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Key Takeaways and Insights
Some of my key takeaways from the event included:
- Medical information continues to be an active and evolving market:
- Clients prefer tailored proposals that demonstrate a true understanding of their needs. Every company has different goals, budgets, and intentions, so it’s crucial for us as a provider to understand their requirements. This allows us to tailor our proposals and better model our solutions to meet their unique needs, recognizing that it’s not a one-size-fits-all perspective.
- Effective content management, access, and maintenance are crucial:
- In the ever-changing regulatory environment, the medical information data related to products frequently evolves. To respond to customer inquiries, processes must be in place to quickly adapt to these rapid changes.
- The information exchange between the client and the medical information provider should be as seamless as possible. Strong integration between the client’s and vendor’s technology systems facilitates smooth data sharing. This close technology integration enables the MI provider to have timely access to the most current data approved by the client.
- With streamlined processes and tight system integration, the medical information provider can equip their staff to promptly respond to customer inquiries with accurate, up-to-date information. A close partnership between the provider and the client, underpinned by process excellence and technology integration, is crucial to success in navigating the complex medical information landscape.
- Leveraging data and AI enhances customer experience, strategic alignment, and operational excellence in medical information services:
- Data analytics and AI technology can optimize customer response and engagement. AI systems integrated with the phone system can analyze call sentiment to ensure callers understand the information provided. The system flags areas of confusion to review and improve FAQs for clarity.
- Regular reporting of call analytics equips teams to continuously refine responses. Data also provides insights into customer needs and behavior patterns. These insights enable providers to align services with client business strategies and priorities.
- Robust analytics further power operational planning, resourcing, and efficiency gains. The metrics and insights gleaned drive improvement across the board.
- Defining medical information requirements and alignment is a key challenge that is often overlooked:
- When clients are planning their outsourcing activities, they should consider goals, challenges, and desired outcomes at the outset.
- The selection of a partner should consider the feasibility and value of outsourcing each activity so that alternative approaches that better suit the client’s objectives can be recommended if necessary.
- Collaborative planning, consultation and proactive solutions allow the provider to fully understand the clients’ needs and identify activities that will gain the most value from the partnership. Outsourcing with defined goals sets the stage for impactful solutions.
- The Medical Information provider then becomes an advisor to shape effective strategies and drive results. Thorough planning and communication between us are the keys to success.
With over 149 attendees, 29 speakers across 7 sessions, and 6 scientific posters, the conference facilitated impactful conversations. A highlight was our proprietary research presented in a poster titled ‘How implementing effective project governance between supplier and client provides insight to support client strategic direction.’ The data revealed insights from effective partnerships and highlighted how medical information can evolve into a strategic asset.
Within our evolved MI project governance structure, which is based in part on this research, we are not just redefining industry standards; we are forging collaborative partnerships and delivering groundbreaking insights that shape the future of our clients’ success and strategic direction.
Our approach to ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) facilitated meaningful conversations about our services, people, and our approach to partnerships. Inizio Engage collaborated with our creative partners at XD to create a booth experience prioritizing sustainability and environmental consciousness.
Overall, the Medical Information and Communications Conference was a fantastic opportunity for exchanging ideas and engaging with fellow professionals. The medical information market continues to evolve, requiring tailored solutions that address each client’s unique goals and needs. Effective content management through seamless processes and tight technology integration is crucial to navigating regulatory changes. Leveraging data, analytics, and AI optimizes customer engagement, aligns services to client strategies, and drives operational excellence. Careful planning and open communication between client and provider are key to defining requirements, maximizing partnerships, and implementing impactful medical information solutions.
As an advisor and partner, we aim to thoroughly understand client objectives to shape strategies, apply innovations, and deliver results that advance their business. Overall, a collaborative, insights-driven approach allows us to develop targeted and dynamic medical information services in this complex and rapidly advancing field.
The DIA Conference solidified the immense value of bringing together the best and brightest minds in our industry. Through insightful presentations, thought-provoking discussions, and meaningful connections, we gained fresh perspectives on trends, innovations, and partnerships that will shape the future of medical communications. By collaborating and exchanging knowledge, we can advance our field and ensure we are providing the most strategic, impactful services to propel our clients’ success. The conference was a reminder that when we come together and leverage our collective expertise, we can gain the insights needed to redefine standards, forge stronger partnerships, and deliver unprecedented strategic value.